Google has announced a beta version of responsive ad units. Adsense now lets you create an ad unit that will respond to the size of the screen. This however works only on the initial page load. Ad unit will not change when users re-size the browsing window after it is served. The team says they are still working on this.
Note: This feature is in beta. Please review the adsense help center before setting this up.
How to set up responsive Adsense
- Login to your adsense account and go to My Ads
- Click Create New Ad
- Select Responsive ad unit (BETA)
- Select the ad type (image, text or both)
- Select a custom channel as usual
- Make any customization needed
- Click Save and Get Code
- Customize the adsense code using one of the supported adsense sizes.
You are basically getting a sample responsive code that you will have to modify to give different ad units at different screen sizes. This may not be the easiest way to do this, but it is a start. I am hoping that we will see a better implementation of this feature pretty soon.