It is not easy playing MP3 files from Google Drive (the web edition). Otherwise, it would’ve been awesome to store my music files on Google Drive and make good use of the 100GB free Drive space that I got with my Chromebook, and stream music from Google Drive.
But Google Drive attempts to open the .mp3 file using the default Google Drive app viewer which does not recognize the file type.
Connect A Music Player App To Google Drive to Play Music
We can connect a music player app form the Chrome Web Store to Google Drive and stream music directly from the Drive. Here is how to do that:
- Find an mp3 file and right-click it
- Select Open With > Connect More Apps from the context menu that opens up.
- Find Music Player for Google Drive in the list. You can enter music to find it faster.
- Click connect and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Double-click on the mp3 again once you are back on Google Drive.
- You will receive a prompt asking you to allow access to Music Player for Google Drive.
- Click on Allow access and the music should start to play in an on-screen player right away.
You are all set! Now go back to the MP3 file and try opening it. It should open right on the browser and start playing!